Sunday, June 14, 2009

Trinity Sunday

While I absolutely loved last week's experience of singing in the choir for Pentecost at Salisbury, Trinity Sunday at Canterbury has taken things to a whole new level!  I had the good fortune of being added to the rota for chalice bearers, which makes me feel like more than a tourist - a true participant in the life of this cathedral!  (Actually, the Dean here is quite intentional about referring to all travelers here not as tourists, but as pilgrims - big difference!)

Nilanga from Sri Lanka, Jason from South Carolina, and I headed over to the cathedral early so that we could be fitted for vestments.  We were shepherded by Canon David Maple, the acting canon precentor - such a delightful and gracious host!  He walked us through the service details and answered our questions.  Here are some pics of us in the vestry, the room  that the virger told us is probably the only room that would still be recognizable to St. Augustine if he were to come to the cathedral today.  We also had two bishops with us this morning - Bishop Josiah from Nigeria and Bishop Stephen from Dover, who was celebrating the 40th anniversary of his ordination. Of course the choir was glorious, and of course we sang St. Patrick's Breastplate (absolutely spine tingling!).  I know this day will be one of the highlights of my time here...

In the vestry before the service.
Bishop Josiah and Dean Robert.
Canon David and I
Jason, Nilanga, and I

No comments:

Post a Comment