Friday, June 19, 2009

Starting the Goodbyes

In our acceptance letter to the Canterbury Scholars Program we were asked to bring with us a small gift that expresses who we are to exchange with another scholar at the end of the program.  We did this as part of our dinner on Tuesday night so that those who had to travel a day early would be able to participate.  After dinner, we took turns receiving a gift from our right and giving a gift to our left.  Monique gave me a beautiful blue crocheted cross bookmark that she carried with her throughout her time in seminary and forward. I was honored to receive a gift so dear to her, and I look forward to carrying it with me during my final year in seminary.  I gave my BCP with my name engraved on the front to Johanna.  This was the prayer book I carried with me all those difficult days at my last job before coming to seminary.  I was so glad to give it to Johanna, who had told me in previous conversation of the difficulty of getting books in her place in Africa.

Ed receiving a gift from India

The beginning of our gift exchange

My new bookmark

Johanna's new prayer book

An extra gift for me from Camaroon


To continue our celebration, a few of us made the trek to a different pub (instead of the Thomas Becket), but one that's also aptly named - Bishop's Finger.  Here are a few shots of us having a pint and watching a rugby game.



I love it that we can knock on the cathedral gate and someone opens it for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment