Sunday, June 14, 2009

Meeting the Archbishop - WOW!

Monday morning we boarded the bus at 8am and set out for London.  Our first stop was back at the Anglican Communion Office on Tavistock Crescent.  I'm beginning to feel like this is home away from home, as this was my third visit there in two weeks!  It was great to see Ann once again, and her hospitality was fantastic, as always.  The Secretary General, Kenneth Kearon, even made a special trip in from Ireland to spend time with us talking about the role of the ACO.
Ann serving up coffee and tea.
Taking a break from our meeting.

The Secretary General

After noonday prayers in the chapel followed by lunch, we re-boarded the bus for the drive to Lambeth Palace.  How exciting!!!!!  What a privilege for us to spend time with Rowan, our Archbishop.  He met with us for over an hour, and joined us for afternoon tea.  I am awed by his intelligence and humility, and was glad to find him so approachable. When I introduced myself, he remembered with fondness his past visit to General Seminary.  While expressing how excited my fellow Episcopalians and I are to have him attend General convention, we each acknowledged these challenging times in our church.  But I reiterated again how grateful we are for his presence among us....

Ed knocking on the door to the gate at Lambeth Palace.

In the foyer of the palace.

Lambeth china - beautiful.

In the room where we had our meeting and tea with the Archbishop.

The hallway we walked down.

A sitting room.

The ABC & me!

The women of the Canterbury Scholars Program in the chapel at Lambeth.


Outside the palace.

And back out the door we came in...

Have I mentioned lately how much I love being an Anglican???

No comments:

Post a Comment