Saturday, July 18, 2009

Walking the Streets of the Old City


Nothing like jet lag to get you up early in the morning!  My first morning in Jerusalem I was awake at 5:30.  I eventually got up, showered, and went down to the Pilgrim Guesthouse for breakfast.  The nice man at the front desk pointed out some sites on the Jerusalem map to get me started on my wanderings for the day.  On my way to the Old City, Episcoworld proved itself once again - this time I ran into Farrel, a fellow seminarian at General.  We chatted for a couple minutes and went our separate ways, knowing that we would touch bases with each other at Sunday services at the cathedral...

How surreal it is to walk the streets of Old Jerusalem!  So many shops and new smells and foreign languages swirling all about!  And the heat of the day is pretty intense, but I didn't let that stop me from exploring.  I stopped for lunch at a cafe in the Christian Quarter - a chicken sandwich, Israeli style... grilled chicken in a pita with cucumbers and tomatoes and a yummy sauce.

Damascus Gate, where I entered the Old City
After lunch I found the Church of the Resurrection (Holy Sepulchre as the Crusaders called it).  Here are a few photos from my first visit.  I'll talk more about it in a later post when we visit as a group...
After visiting the church, I walked back to St. George's - the heat and jet lag weighing heavy.  I took a nap, and then ordered in dinner again.  Bedtime at 9, in hopes to catch up on sleep, but woke up at midnight, so I wandered around inside the college, discovering the rooftop garden and cozy nooks in the library, places I bet I spend a fair amount of time in the coming days!

No comments:

Post a Comment