Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Back to Serbia, Visiting Gradac

By Thursday the long days and long bus rides are starting to wear on me.  I was really tired this morning and had a headache, and we had just as many sites to see today as previous days.  In the morning alone we had two monasteries and a church to see.  We left the town of Old Ras (where we spent the night) and started for the first monastery.  There are many Muslims in this area - here's a picture of one of the mosques and its minaret (tower).  This was the first time I've visited a town that had more minarets than church towers...
Our first monastery stop was at an impromptu add, and I didn't write down the name (sorry!)  Here are a couple pics of the outside.  We weren't allowed to take pictures inside...
We made the short drive to St. Peter's church, but I decided to stay on the bus to nurse my headache.  We then stopped at Monastery Djurdjevi Stopovi (they're really starting to run together at this point!)  At any rate, here are a few snapshots...
A side chapel:
Inside the chapel:
After lunch we visited the most amazing monastery of the trip - Monastery Gradac.  I know I've talked a lot about "favorites," but this one I will never forget because of the nuns who live there.  There was a special energy and joy that emanated from this place, and I was surprised that nearly all the nuns were young women.  Please visit their website - they are amazing.  (Please check back here later - I don't have the exact address with me at this moment.)  And if you are looking for a place to purchase icons, please support these young women in their very fine artistry and ministry!

The church at this monastery is called the Church of the Theotokos (Our Lady) and was built as a mausoleum for Queen Helen of Anjou, wife of King Uros I.  While we weren't allowed to take photos inside this monastery, I couldn't help myself and sneaked in a couple.   The light, brightness, and feminine energy in the space was wonderful!  The frescoes included women and children, much different from the stern looking men found in most of the other places we visited.

This is a little boy singing his prayers with gusto...
The nuns' residence:
A mother cat with her playful kitten on the grounds:

No comments:

Post a Comment