Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Summer on the Close

Monday morning Annie and I got up early, packed our bags and headed to the airport - LAX for her, Orange County for me.  Arriving in NYC at a decent hour, I was able to make it to the Close and walk around a bit.  But three hours' difference going west to east made it more difficult to get to bed at a decent hour, and the cumulative effect of crossing so many time  zones caught up with me on Tuesday - I ended up taking two naps!  Or maybe it was the comfort of being in familiar territory that made it easier to sleep...

At any rate, it's great to be on the Close for a few days, catching up with friends and preparing for the final leg of my summer pilgrimage to Jerusalem.  Professor Owens was in his office, so I stopped by for some pointers on Hebrew (I can learn Hebrew in a day, right????) and shared a few stories from my travels.  I had dinner one night with Kiel Walter, the saintly soul who took on the responsibility of keeping my finicky cat, Callie.  She's doing just fine in my absence, and is even allowing K.W. to hold her and pet her (this is no small miracle!)  On Wednesday afternoonShelley flew back in from Florence where she was visiting with Ed, so we grabbed an early dinner together and chatted about our travels since Serbia.

And the Close is looking really beautiful this summer - must have been all that June rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment