Monday, July 27, 2009

Back in the Old City

On Monday morning we were back in the Old City - this time visiting the Temple Mount. Unfortunately because of past controversies and violence, we weren't allowed to wear any religious insignia like crosses or carry in our Bibles, and we were not allowed to go inside.  This is the first time in my life I was restricted from expressing my faith  - not that I've been prone to preaching on hostile street corners, but I'll have to say it bristled this freedom-loving American girl to be told that she couldn't go in if I had a cross or Bible in my possession.  And on the other side of the coin, this caused me to wonder just how much I would risk for the sake of my beliefs.  Would I have been as courageous as the early Christians who were persecuted and martyred because of their belief in Christ?  Probably not.  How blessed I am that I have not been put to that kind of test...

While we couldn't go inside, I did try taking some photos through the crack in the door!
This dome was built by the Muslims in 691 and was gold plated in the 1990s by Kind Hussein of Jordan as a gift.  Walking around here sparks my imagination to think about how grand the Temple Mount must have been in the time of Jesus.
Unfortunately, an ugly part of our Christian history is when the Crusaders  in 1099 tried to take back the Temple Mount and murdered everyone there - Jews, Muslims, and Christians alike - because they couldn't tell anyone apart...
We then walked through the Muslim Quarter to St. Stephen's Gate (Lions Gate) and then to St. Ann's Church.  In addition to the tradition of Mary being born here, Bethsaida - the pool for healing  - where Jesus healed the lame man - is located here.
The Gate
Outside the church

Inside the church - which had great acoustics.  Caitlin, Maida, and I sang a few stanzas of Jesus I Adore Thee for the group.
Downstairs

The Front Door
Ruins of the baths and a byzantine church
We had lunch at Ecce Homo monastery, which had great views of the Old City from their rooftop.  

In the afternoon we went to the Western Wall and the Southern Steps - seeing the ruins of the old Roman road along the wall, and where stones were thrown down from the wall gave me some idea of what the destruction of the Temple must have been like.  These stones are huge!

On our walk back to St. George's, we stopped half way for minty lemonade (of course!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment