Monday, July 20, 2009

Walking the Ramparts


This morning after breakfast I set out on my own again in the Old City.  My first order of business was to buy a hat.  The sun around here requires more than just sunscreen!  I found one in the Christian Quarter and properly haggled on the price and paid 32 sheckels - the equivalent of $8!

After buying my hat I promptly made my way to Jaffa Gate so that I could walk the ramparts and get a bird's eye view of the city.  
The Wailing Wall
I made it back to St. George's around 4, stopping first at St. George's Bazaar right outside the cathedral gate.  This is the gift shop Rick mentioned to me as a good place to go, and to be sure and greet Abraham, the shopkeeper, for him.  What a delightful man.  He offered me a seat (he could tell I looked beat) and we sat and chatted a few minutes as other shoppers wandered in.  I promised to come back to do some serious shopping before the two weeks are up.

After a shower and a nap, I was half way  prepared to meet and greet my fellow pilgrims after evensong at the reception at the college.  There are 35 of us - 18 from the Bahamas, a couple from New Zealand, several priests and seminarians from the States, a couple priests from England and a seminarian from Canada.  What a fantastic mixed bag of Anglicans!

No comments:

Post a Comment